Sunday, August 22, 2010

And on the other side of the galaxy...

I'm ridiculously hyped because Phoenix Comicon is asking for suggestions for guests for next year's con. Not exactly on the topic of writing, but we'll get there. I had SO much fun at my first con out here, although I know that a babysitter is a must at some point. Friday night and Saturday night are ridiculously crammed full of activities. And there is always just enough entertainment in watching those around you.

The family and myself are pondering dressing up for next year's gala. *ponders* Will it happen? If it does, who should we be? Questions to be answered later, I suppose.

On another note, I'm currently reading Jennifer Ashley's "The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie." It's intriguing on a lot of levels. For one thing, her writing style is incredible. It flows so well. I look at her writing style, and weep for my own. How can I possibly compete against such fabulous writers?

'It's not a contest!'

Ah, but it is. A sales contest. A contest to be read and make sales and acquire publicity and devotion.

Seriously. I love her writing style, and it makes me question my own. However, and I bear this in mind, I'm comparing one of her historical romances to my contemporary. Obviously it's a different set of linguistics, style structure, and product. Still, it's a fabulous thing. I rarely get intrigued just by a writer's style. Usually, I'm intrigued by the plot and it reads well enough that it flies by naturally. Then there are moments like now, when I am intrigued by the story but also by the structure.

Do you ever have any books that stop you in your tracks? Ever stopped reading one day to realize, 'wow, this is incredible writing'?

Later!

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment