Monday, August 8, 2011

Lazily Lapsing and Other Proactive feats




Good morning, all!



Last I spoke, I was obsessed with Harry Potter. Still am, but I think I'm managing to get my life under control now. I will merely say this: the first time I watched the movie, I was grossly disappointed in it. It was not the way I'd pictured it at all. So many things were left out or altered! Gah!

Then I got my disappointment out of the way, and saw it again, and cried like a little girl throughout the whole thing. Being able to appreciate it as it is, it does seem a fitting end. Except for the fact they blatantly did not have Harry repair his wand. What??? Don't look at me like that--Harry loved his phoenix wand, and he made sure to repair it before getting rid of the Elder Wand!

Okay, okay. Fact: emotional journey, utterly complete, and there better be a hell of a lot of deleted scenes on the DVD. And I want to huggle the entire cast.

As of late, I've been inundated with loads of new ideas for books. Sadly, I have not been inundated with loads of words to write, nor time to use. What's a girl to do? I currently have some new folders on my computers with ideas ready to use. Now the words need to come back.

I think it's time for a visit to my old friend and muse, Thoth. After all, he's the Guy with the Words.



It's very difficult to shove through the blockage of words and get going again. A few things that I find helpful are:

1. Leaving it alone. Sometimes when it's all ready, everything will start back up on its own.

2. Having a writing sprint. Just write for a short amount of time, about anything, it doesn't have to make sense. http://writeordie.com/ It's a fabulous tool. Make sure you have the volume up or the evilness will not work.

3. Do a search online for writing exercises: there are some great ones at about.com. I.e: take a picture and write a story about it. That's one I'm saving for the writing group.

4. Write about your day in the form of a monologue. You can make it simple, straight forward, or embellish it.

5. Keep a dream journal. Sometimes inspiration will come from those kooky things in your subconscious. Make sure it's by your bed so as soon as you wake up you can write it down. Great fodder there!

6. Write a fan fiction. Seriously. Love Torchwood? Can't get enough Potter? Want to do Star Trek? Hell, want to continue a story that your favorite novelist could have done more with? Do it! Just get the words out!

So I hope those tips help out. I may even take myself up on them!

My wish is good writing to you all, and may the words come as smoothly as free-flowing milk chocolate.

Mmmmm, chocolate...



Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment