Sunday, February 27, 2011

What a Week!



Just got back today from our first family vacation. I won a trip in December to go to Disneyland, and we were finally able to go. Picked up my sister in Las Vegas, and off we went!

It was beyond fantastic. I remember a lot of things from going there as a child to the last trip about seven years ago--nearly eight, now. So much has changed and so much has stayed the same. I wish the weather had been a bit kinder; cloudy and cool for two days, and then Friday was a lot of sprinkling, spitting, and then pouring rain. Did I mention it was cold?






We had the great fortune, however, to stay at the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa on the Disney lot. It...is...amazing. Beautiful, courteous, and just plain fabulous. Have I mentioned how much I love turn-down service? You get a handful of chocolates; there is nothing bad about that. The lobby has a TV with constant Disney toons and kid-sized rocking chairs and regular chairs.

Three words; Tower of Terror. It. Is. Awesome. No matter how much of my stomach is still hanging above Anaheim in limbo. Freaking love that ride.

Cirdan had a great time, although Disneyland seemed for more overwhelming for him than California Adventure did. In CA, he discovered the Grizzly River Run ride, where you get to white-water raft. He LOVED it. Especially the fact that mommy got super wet every bleeding time. I think we did it 8 times over 3 days. Of course, there was Toy Story Mania. And he got mad at daddy when we decided not to take him on the Matterhorn.

And what kid does not like the spinning tea cups? It's a tradition. Happily, he was not totally enamored of Small World, thank the gods.

I'll probably go into more detail later; I'm still adjusting to being back home with complete internet access. I'm not that well adjusted into the instant notifications via a handheld device yet; that's my husband's forte.

My son and husband got to see the ocean for the very first time. Lots of seagulls, and we even saw a few dolphins! We went to Huntington Beach, and ate at Ruby's on the pier. SO amazingly good.

On Saturday we got to meet the fabulous Amber Benson! For those of you who don't know, she played Tara on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." She is also a fabulous writer. Her books include the Ghosts of Albion series, her Calliope Reaper-Jones series, and a children's book, "Among the Ghosts." She was at Dark Delicacies in Burbank; I was super excited when I found out her signing coincided with the last day of our trip.




Can I just say, Amber is incredibly nice and sweet. She spoke to everyone, was very personable, signed everything, and jumped up and down for photos. When I managed to tell her how much I love her work and her writing, she said, "Oh, thank you so much! Come here!" And she gave me a big hug.

So the fangirl in me is happy. The mommy in me is happy. And now... I have to deal with reality once more. Boo on that.

Night, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment